Sunday 14 June 2009

Hexagons - never thought I would

I just noticed that my name is on the Half-Hexagon Quilt-Along list by Comfortstitching - and I think people are visiting to see some....so.....okay

As the title says, never did I think I would be interested in hexagons - sorry to anyone who lives and breathes English Piecing of Hexagons - but I shudder even as I type! I like the look once sewn but this is one lazy quilt-sewer here and the thought of pieces of cardboard to sew around bit by bit would drive me INSANE!!

Saying all that, I came across Cathy's wonderful blog Cabbage Quilts and her wonderful start to the Half-Hex Quilt-along and I felt inspired....visited Comfortstitching (also lovely!) and so let the Hexing begin!! This is definitely the cheat's way of Hexagon stitching (maybe some purists are turning in their grave/seat/paper-pieced-cardboard-pile) but I can relate to it and I am loving others' combinations of either liberty-sweet or modernly in-your-face!

I have a layer cake of Patisserie - which amazingly can cut into 2.5" strips and then chop up with the half-hex template - I say this now, but I haven't actually done anything. That's okay 'cos Aneela says 'no pressure, no rush' - exactly how I like it!!




3 comments:

danielle said...

i am so glad you posted about this! i have been dying to try, and it seems everyone is doing it but me...well, and maybe you! But i hate hand sewing (thats probably because i have never done it, but i am sure i am too clumsy and will jsut stab myself with the needle or something!) so this half hex thing looks really cool....so I'm gonna try! thanks for the inspiration..cant wait to see how you go

x

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Wow Bronwyn, your half hexi quilt will look fabulous in Patisserie, I love fig tree fabric. I will look forward to see what you come up with. I was very suprised how easily these half hexi's came together, as long as you have somewhere to lay them out. Thank you too for your kind link to my blog, how lovely of you. xo

Simon - aka Bloke said...

Shame shame shame... :) I do love my Hexagons, I would agree about the english piecing method - and not want to do that...

I am now adding the last row to mine - using the American piecing method - almost there - can feel that I will have to attack the Liberty stash I was given for my birthday last year...

Take care...