2014 FABRICHOLICS ANONYMOUS
I have been inspired by the lovely Jess of The Elven Garden to take stock of my stash and make a pledge and this is it!
No Fabric Buying for 6 Months
breathe in, breathe out, breathe, breathe
I am showing my stash online to show you my friends (most) of what I have and WHY I don't need to buy anymore (at this time!)
Hey, lets be real here and state upfront that searching and researching fabric for colour, design, usability, and just all out gorgeousness is a major part of my sewing hobby. Along with that searching comes wanting and along with the wanting comes purchasing and along with the purchasing comes receiving. Oh yes, that can possibly be the best part.
But maybe, just maybe that rush of buying and holding that fabric wears off all too quick and I need to go in for more.
I. Have. Enough
My shelves behind my sewing chair
My stacks beside my chair
Stacks under my sewing table
Just a couple of bags of clothing fabric - a new little habit I am forming.....eek
Now the following paragraphs I have blatently 'stolen' from Jess's blog post - some I have modified for my own purposes - not doing the Quilts for Publication thing so doesn't apply etc.....
Read it and think hard about whether you can relate - can you do it? YES You Can!
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning .
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation .
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
If you are like us and would like to commit to not buying fabric next year, we would love the moral support. Solidarity in numbers and all that. We have a button you can grab:
I have been so so so good .....so far - I have bought fabric but only in 2013!!! Got in at last minute and that will do me.....I have received packages on my doorstep which the family say 'really Mum? You couldn't last 1 minute'.....hahaha bought last year I tell them!!! big raspberry!
One little tiny teeny weeny hiccup last week when I bought this most amazing fabric Folkloric in Talavera Garden - goes absolutely positively perfect as a backing for my Granny Squares quilt top - so this little wonder was allowed!!!!!
I am resisting well I think - and I love that my friends are helping to keep me in check - LOVE that!
As part of the pledge - I need to work through my UFOs - this can be hard, as they are UFOs for a reason, are they not? I do need to decide if some are just not worth any more energy and maybe donate unfinished to somewhere....
Meanwhile......strength will be a motto for me this year - strength physically and emotionally; especially strengthening bonds between those who want to build and leaving aside those who only tear down. I don't want to end this post on a downer, so.......
A Very Happy 2014 I wish for you all!