Sunday 15 July 2007

No name post - just more stash show and tell

No name post but stuff to show:
During a very unusual Mummy day (kids out-of-town with friends for 2 nights!) of training into the city, browsing DFO shops (Direct Factory Outlet) which by the way, are not very Outlety (ie not much of a bargain to be found and heaps of normal stuff found in the retail stores!) This lot are in the new and wonderfully big (and noisy) Southern Cross Station (formerly Spencer St station). Then onto Clegs (big fabric store in Elizabeth St) and though not needing anything but finding a treasure - some stunning fabric with Aboriginal designs - fell in love instantly. The colours are very subtle which is unusual for traditional designs but will work very well in a quilt. The following design in called 'Spirit Place'

The next piccie is of 'Bush Plums' designed by Polly Naparulla Wheeler for M&S Textiles Australia (top) and 'Bush Tucker Dreaming' (bottom) designed by Audrey Martin Napanangka for M&S Textiles. The quality of the fabric is excellent. I have been thinking about sending my Doll Quilt 2 swappie something from Australia and I hope she likes them! Such a nice change from the garish cliche of the kangaroo/koala/vegemite fabrics, which is normally on display.
Next series of show and tell: my latest craze for chenille! Fluffy, funny, vintagey, pretty, cuddly - some from ebay (large piece of soft butter yellow (maybe more yo-yo biscuit yellow?) which is actually a bedspread in fantastic condition! for $20)
A collection of great vintage chenille from ebay through a lovely lady named Jodie who sells through her store called Polka Dot Chenille (Ric Rac is her blog - check it out - love the vintage material frilled bags!) 'Sewing without a Safety Net' is her banner motto - Yes!!! I Agree!!! Rich eggy gold with a Hoffman Daisy design and also a beautiful soft green piece (little extras were a lovely surprise! Thanks Jodie

Picking up my girls in Ballarat on Saturday enabled me to just drop by Ballarat Patchwork (he he planned it all along! Hubbie said 'Please don't make me go in!' in such a way, that my heart bled for him (NOT), but he was happy to sit in the car and read the paper. Have lurked at their website for a while now, but the shop is so much better (as is all quilting shops!) What a scrumdiliuptious shop! I bought some fat quarters and fat eighths for my Kaffe quilt for my Mum - decided on a Disappearing 9-block pattern - nice and easy! Can you see the purple Roman Glass - this is Mum's pick for the border material (which is what I shall be working the quilt around (purples and greens) and then I chose the not so subtle green Shirt Stripes for a smaller feature border

Below is an in-yer-face view of the little beauties I got from Ballarat Patchwork - favs would have to be top right purple cabbages and the bottom right green Roman Glass - what a designer!



Must finished DQS2 today! Posting will happen, I promise!!!

2 comments:

Lisa K. said...

What a stunning assortment of fabric.

I love the aboriginal paintings. My sis in law has some from hubby's time in Australia. They're fascinating. I'd love to get me hands on some of that fabric.

Jodie said...

Hi Bron, I didn't know it was you ..if I had known I would have sent even more goodies to fellow librarian blogger...