Monday 29 October 2007

Vale 'Basil'


My horse, Basil, has died - he wasn't really mine, but he was my choice pick every fortnight, for the past 3 years. He was such a gentleman; not a stunner in looks (he actually had a horsey form of Cushings, which kept him shaggy most of the year), but such a sweet disposition; he would lift his feet for me to pick out, and give me a nuzzle when I brushed his head. His gaits were as smooth as the smoothest of cream, so responsive off my aids and he had a lovely way of pricking up his ears as I placed him over jumps. It was very hard to catch a different horse last week; I bawled my eyes out.

I will miss him very much.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I feel so sad for you Bron.

I hope you feel better soon.

Jodie said...

Oh Bron, There is nothing like the death of a horse. I lost my first horse at 15 - I was wracked !!! and tearing up now as I type
I still think of it with great sadness.
I hope your friend passed happily and is jumping over fences now in a lush green paddock with lots of other friends.