Thursday 21 February 2008

The Gentle Art


I have been enjoying Jane Brocket's 'The Gentle Art of Domesticity' 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton - I love her writing; natural, flowing, descriptive and very encouraging voice;

'The gentle art of domesticity is also the art of the possible. We no longer need to knit socks....stitch quilts to keep ourselves warm....and we are no longer judged on the quality of our hemming, pastry or heel-turning. The gentle arts have moved into a new realm in contemporary life, a realm we can choose to enter should we wish, and one in which the act of doing is as important as the result.' p.12

That really struck a cord with me - these domestic arts that we love; cooking, sewing, embroidering, quilting, and so many more, are a choice to do, rather than achieve or gain or buy. I must remember this, when my impatience for the end result makes me lose sight of why I am doing it in the first place. I want to create something that is from me, and through that journey of creation, I learn, express, relax, fulfill.

(I think this is one library book which needs to be a birthday present to myself)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this one unsuccessfully on Amazon - great review Bron! I'll check out my local library and see if they've got it too.