Monday 16 February 2009

Post

The Fires felt very close for such a long time for me....not physically, but emotionally, and still do. We did not know of anyone 'touched' by the bushfire; we did not lose any family or friends, but I think the whole of Melbourne, the whole State, the whole Country felt the pain and suffering in some small way. How could you not?

I made the mistake of reading the newspaper one day last week and felt physically ill - crying in a cafe may be the norm around here at the moment. A friend celebrated her 40th birthday with lots of friends and family and singing and cheering, yet she felt terribly guilty for her celebrations. How and when does the guilt of having life and loved ones dissipate when for others, it will never ever leave.

Sam lost his wife and three children; he just wants to be close to them now, he doesn't care about his house and things, he just wants to be near them. "They would like that" he says calmly.

We were holidaying in Healesville in Yarra Valley for a family wedding a couple of days before the Fires - on the Friday hubbie and I drove north of Healesville through Toolangi and almost on to Kinglake. I am so glad we didn't see the last of Kinglake that day - the memories would be too bad. We were so close, yet here we are safe at home.



I don't believe Toolangi was burnt - maybe the ancient Fern Trees are still standing:





I love this photo of Ann-maree and Simon - it says so much to me - the simple touch of entwined fingers - a symbol of hope and love and kindness, togetherness and peace.





Jan of Sewjourn has organised a Quilting Bee for some quilty love and care for those who need it so badly


Here are some details, by Jan:
  • Come along for all or part of the day to sew
  • Donate fabric, batting or backings for use
  • Make any 12 inch block and send it in and we will make them up into quilts on the day
  • Make a Scrappy Log Cabin block - Emma has a good tutorial here
  • Offer to machine quilt one or two quilts for us
  • Offer to hand quilt a quilt
  • Offer to hand sew a binding or two
  • Come along to make calico bags for the quilts
  • You might have a half-done quilt top you are happy to donate to be finished off
  • Spread the word - please pass on to all of your crafty friends

We already have some batting and backings donated and we will be using all the scraps that lovely ladies have left at Sewjourn to be made up into charity quilts. We need more batting and backings though and are happy to list down the businesses that support us so if you think of anyone you can ask please let me know.

Here are the details:

When: Saturday 21st March 9.30am - 4.30pm

Where: LightHouse, Ashburton Uniting Church, 7 Ashburn Grove, Ashburton, 3147

What to bring: Your sewing supplies, fabric, lunch. Morning and afternoon tea provided.

Contact: Jan Joseland on 0409 964 755 or info@sewjourn.net.au



I've booked myself in - raiding the stash will never feel so worthwhile.


1 comment:

willywagtail said...

I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering so physically. I spent a number of days like this too but because the toll of lives worldwide is too deep for me to cope with I have handed my fears over to God who says that soon death and pain and mourning and outcry will be no more. In those days also the hurt that people feel now will not be called to mind. Yes it is also good to know how we can help people now too. I love the idea of helping to restock a crafter as for me craft is the medicine that frees me from a lot of emotional pain. I also have a lovely top I rescued from an op shop a while ago that I would love todonate to this quilting bee. Thankyou for sharing this information. Cherrie